Sunday, September 20, 2026

18th September - 20th September. Travelling!

My day started at 3am on the 18th of september, we arrived at Wellington airport and were greeted by a very long line for check-in. This was not ideal, but I figured it was ok to stand for a bit before having to be seated for the rest of the day. I then waved goodbye to my parents and passed through security. I boarded my flight to Sydney, and we were soon in the air. 

My plane to Sydney

After landing in Sydney, I transferred through security, and my bag was flagged; I had forgotten to take out the water that I had brought in Wellington 🙄. I went to the mcdonalds in sydney airport for a feed. This McDonald's was one of the coolest I had seen; the workers were on the top floor, and they put the food on these conveyor belts, which brought the food down to me. 

Sydney Airport


McDonald's, Sydney Airport.

I did some duty-free shopping in the airport where I bought a speaker. Then I booked a quiet room where I had a rest and charged my devices before the 15 and a half hour flight to Dallas, Texas. 

The quiet room at Sydney Airport.

The plane taking me to Dallas.


On the flight to Dallas, I was sat next to this lovely couple from Paraparaumu, and funnily enough, they were also on my flight from Wellington at 6:05am. 

Zoe and Adam from Paraparaumu.

During the 15 hour flight, I gave some chocolates to the flight attendants, who were very happy to receive them and at the end of the flight they gave me some PJs from business class to keep. The flight was half an hour late to Dallas, which meant that I had just missed my connecting flight to Fargo by 5 minutes, which was very annoying because the next flight wasn't until 9:15 pm, which was 8 hours away. 

The departure board at Dallas airport.

I got some Chick-fil-A, then walked around the airport to pass the time. I got a room for a nap, which costed my $65usd for an hour! I was so tired I didn't even care 😂. After that, I found a gaming room, which was nice to spend some time in. I got some Whataburger for dinner, which is only available in the south of the U.S. Then it was finally time to catch my 2hr and 45min flight to Fargo. 

My first view of my home for the next 3 months.

I then got picked up by my host family and taken to their house, where I then slept for 12 hours 😬. That afternoon we had a barbecue, s'mores, and a nice fire before watching the North Dakota Bisons (the college football team) vs. Sacramento State. North Dakota won, which everyone was very happy about.

Oak Grove fire pit

My s'more

BBQ Dinner

NDSU vs. Sacramento State

This morning I was up bright and early at 7:45 to have breakfast and get ready for church. I was really surprised at the service, which was not your typical idea of a service. There was lots of music and singing, and it was actually really nice. 

Prairie Heights Church

The church band performing

I start my first day of school tomorrow at Oak Grove Lutheran School. This week is actually homecoming week, which is an annual celebration where schools celebrate their spirit. On Monday, it is pyjama day, which will be a nice introduction to the school 😁. That's all I've got to say for now; I'll be back soon with another post about school.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Jed, what a great start to your adventure and well done for getting there in one piece! Sounds like the Berns have looked after you very well since you arrived and school sounds fun this week. Have a great time this week mate and we can’t wait to read your next blog. Cheers xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work Bub!
    I am impressed with your blog!
    We are very proud that you navigated your 35 hour journey to Fargo on your own.
    And thankfully made it through immigration!!

    Look forward to your updates
    Love you xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on navigating your way there. Have the best time and look forward to hearing more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome blog Jed…well done on getting yourself from A to B! Looks like your first day has been fun so far. Have an amazing time and looking forward to your uodates!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice one Jed. Look forward to reading your blog entries and hearing about your adventures. Go forth and conquer !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just catching up with Mum & Dadabout your journey, school etc. Congrats on the band..what an awesome experience Jed keep living it up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. An amazing start to your BIG adventure Jed! You took the epic journey in your stride, just like a seasoned traveller. Settling into a delicious S’mores and the footy, sounds like the perfect way to relax and unwind in your new home 🏡

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seriously Jed, you are so busy I felt tired reading your post. You are seeing and doing so much it is mind blowing. It's great to see that you seem to be doing well with your host family and enjoying their company. That storm would have been an absolute 'no go' from me. Yeah a bit sad to see 'Lock Down' buttons in classrooms. Lets continue to be hopeful that we never see that here. Keep doing and having the best time that you are having. Sue & Scott

    ReplyDelete

Bit busier this week

 This week started with a trip to Spirit Halloween after school, where I brought a 7-foot-tall inflatable rex from a Toy Story costume. Even...